[ale] Re: [ale-unemployed] Mission Statement / Business Model

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Sun Feb 10 14:10:52 EST 2002

Some very excellent points, Jeff - but this is what I have been saying, and
why I have been pushing LTSP (www.ltsp.org) so much.  They have already
*done* it.  You can use 486 machines with 8MB of RAM, and it works very well
as an X-Terminal.

Set up a powerful server, and this 486 can now run StarOffice 6, Evolution
and Mozilla (or Galeon, or whatever) at very acceptable speeds.

Now you only have one machine for each 50 - 100 workstations.

Also, if you have a few people who need to run legacy/M$ apps, just set up a
Samba/Tarantella/Win4Lin app server, and voila, instant access (even over
*dial-up* connections) to Quickbooks, etc.  Demos would be a simple matter
of setting up a server.

This would eliminate most if not all of the objections.

Charles

<snip>