[ale] Re: [ale-unemployed] Where we stand 2/8/02

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Feb 9 14:55:42 EST 2002

On Friday 08 February 2002 10:33 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> For the benefit of those who were unable to attend, this is a rundown of
> the (on topic :) discussions:
>
> Everyone pretty much agreed that a collective effort to get consulting
> work for all of use would be a more effective use of our individual,
> limited resources.
>
> We discussed some target markets for focusing an advertising campaign
> on. New start-up small to mid-size business and medical offices were the
> most common targets.

This is a good and sensible approach. However, these are also the
same businesses that can't afford staff programmers, so appropriate packaged
software (or reasonably priced custom software) must be available. I think
that will be the biggest stumbling block to overcome. You'll need to have
references to people who are successfully using software X, Y and Z in
similar situations, if you expect to wean them from Windows.

I search the web regularly for Linux business software, but most of what
I've found seems to fall somewhere between pre-beta and vaporware, or is
priced out of the small business market. Hopefully, I am totally wrong
about this - if so, someone correct me.

Regards,
Irv