[ale] mozilla

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Feb 8 10:59:16 EST 2002

John Wells writes:
 > I've been using mozilla recently only because it's the
 > only browser I've found that actually allows you to
 > cut and paste from a terminal correctly (always had a
 > problem with this in Netscape and Opera).

I recommend konqueror, the KDE browser.  I've never had trouble with
it's cut and paste, and it is lighter weight than mozilla.

 > Anyway, I was playing around with top this morning and
 > noticed that with one mozilla window up I actually
 > have 5! mozilla processes running with a total
 > resident memory size of 134970 kb.  I won't even ask
 > why the hell a web browser requires 5 processes at
 > half the size of my phyical memory (but if you have an
 > opinion pass it on ;-)).

If you do "ps f -C mozilla-bin" you will see an ascii art representation
of the threads.  Strangely, I have only 4 threads, not five.  Even
stranger, the ascii art shows that two of them are siblings with no
common mozilla parent.  So I'm not sure what it represents.  When I do
that with some other threaded programs I also get two top level
threads.   Hmmm.

--Michael