[ale] mozilla

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 8 07:53:43 EST 2002

John,

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 07:26, John Wells wrote:
> Anyway, I was playing around with top this morning and
> noticed that with one mozilla window up I actually
> have 5! mozilla processes running with a total
> resident memory size of 134970 kb.  I won't even ask
> why the hell a web browser requires 5 processes at
> half the size of my phyical memory (but if you have an
> opinion pass it on ;-)).

	You don't.  There 5 threads, all of which share the same memory, but ps
doesn't know this, and so reports each as using that much.  That's just
how threads work under Linux.  They're actually seperate processes that
share items (file descriptors, memory, ...).

	My mozilla(-bin) is currently using 13024 K of mem.  Large, but not too
bad (sheesh! who remembers when 65k was all the addresses ya got? ;-).

Danny