[ale] The bad thing about RPMs

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 16:44:06 EST 2002

> What do y'all think of my little theory?

Although it could be useful, it would slow down progress a lot IMHO.
Distributors do put out upgrades for a reason. New programs come out and
these new programs and new versions of old ones require the newer
libraries to function correctly. By freezing library versions for that
long we would run into problems getting third party applications to work
and getting the new features out. And besides, then you'd force them to
go 7.0-8.0-9.0 instead of 7.0-7.1-7.2-8.0 etc. just so they could get
around your idea and still put out releases just as often. ;)

--
Michael Golden <naugrimk at yahoo.com>
GnuPG Public Key: 1F8BDBDE

 This is a digitally signed message part