[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Feb 5 10:58:04 EST 2002

Irv Mullins writes:

 > Of course, the same thing could be done even faster in C.. All this really
 > proves is that Java's "everything as an object" approach adds a lot of
 > overhead which may or may not be of any use for the problem at hand.
 > Overhead that can bog things down, or prevent the program from running
 > at all. So, if I were summing large lists of numbers, (which is
 > exactly what

I wish Java had an "everything as an object" approach.  If you used
the Object class 'Integer', I can bet things slowed down a lot.  There
is also a type (not a Class) 'int' that I find it hard to imaging Java
being so slow on.  It is not a class at all, which has significant
disadvantages, but it also has the advantage of not being so memory
intensive.

--Michael