[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Feb 5 09:51:29 EST 2002

Fletch writes:

 >     Benjamin> contents are pure drivel and not even meaningful
 >     Benjamin> comparisons or criticisms. Simply a language flame. The
 >     Benjamin> guy loves Perl and wants to define all languages in
 >     Benjamin> comparison to Perl which is silly and useless.
 >
 >         I'd disagree.  It is meaningful to point out that if you're
 > doing Java, you do it OOP and you're not given a choice (even Python
 > (*shudder* :) will let you get away with being somewhat procedural for
 > the main body of your program; at least for things on the order of
 > `hello world').  It's meaningful that Java enforces strong typing
 > (with all the benefits and hindrances that brings with it).
 >
 >         While it does focus on a perl perspective (given that's what
 > the author uses) and some of the features are things 95% (or 99%) of
 > the time you probably wouldn't need.  But when you do need them,
 > they're not there.
 >
 >         And the author pointed out that this page of JWZ's does a bit
 > better at getting across some of what he was trying to get across (in
 > a less perl-y fashion).
 >
 > http://www.jwz.org/doc/java.html

I liked this article by Jamie.  I have a lot of the same feelings he
has, including where he says "Java is far, far more pleasant to work
with than C or C++ or Perl or Tcl/Tk or even Emacs-Lisp."

I think that should be emphasized.  Java is so much better to work
with than perl, C, C++ etc.

That said, it does have problems.  Jead jamie's article to see a nice
writeup of those problems.

That said, I think python is an even nicer language, except that it
does not work well for multi threaded I/O bound problems--it's
threading model is broken and hard to fix.  But it is a joy to use.
Many of the standard criticisms of Java are fixed in Python.

--Michael