[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 17:38:33 EST 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
>
> >>        I'd disagree.  It is meaningful to point out that if you're
> >>doing Java, you do it OOP and you're not given a choice (even Python
> >>(*shudder* :) will let you get away with being somewhat procedural for
> >>the main body of your program; at least for things on the order of
> >>`hello world').  It's meaningful that Java enforces strong typing
> >>(with all the benefits and hindrances that brings with it).
>
>  >

> > I agree that being forced to use OOP is annoying.
>
> You really don't want a language designed to do both OOP and structured.
>   If you do, some schmuck will toggle between the two and put us all in
> the loony bin.

I disagree. I want a language that lets me use the right
abstraction for the problem, whatever that may be, and do
it in a clean, consistent way. In the absence of such a
language, I have to mix things up. The languages I
really enjoy working in (C, Python, Prolog) have this in
common: they do what they do very well, with a minimum of
fuss and an orthogonal set of features. Also, they're
simple enough that a single human brain can understand
them easily; this is a severely underrated trait
in software systems.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"