[ale] SNMP programming with PERL

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Sat Feb 2 12:44:21 EST 2002

Ha - The Net::SNMP for i686 linux failed the CPAN tests, whatever that
means... Of, course I would be set if I had an irix.

What I am really looking for is information about how to get the bandwidth
data from an interface... I am sure I can find a perl mod that will work
and really once I get that all I have to do is a little math...

OK - Thanks
Ken

 On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:18:54AM -0500, Ken Nagorski wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Uhg, I am diving into the yukkie world of SNMP... I need to write a
>> script  that gets the current bandwidth, doesn't matter if it's in
>> bits bytes, or  whatever. I can work with it once I get it. I just
>> can't seem to figure out  what oid it is?
>>
>> Also - Anyone who might have experience with this? What perl modules
>> are  best I was looking at one on the net but I don't know if there
>> isn't a  better one?
>>

> No experience (SNMP...yikes! *grin*), but a quick look at CPAN:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/Catalog/Networking_Devices_IPC/
>
>shows three sets of registered SNMP-types modules (by my quick
> eyeballing). A look at their changlogs, etc. should give you an idea of
> which ones are most up-to-date and featureful.
>
> At least a place to start, perhaps. (Apologies if you've already been
> down this road!)
>
> --
>
> Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.