[ale] Changing DM in Redhat 7.2 - aaargh!!

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Feb 1 07:37:58 EST 2002

Guess I should have been more specific...

I have tried switchdesk (as root - many times), did not check 'applies only to this display', and every time I run it it is still set to GNOME.  Running switchdesk does *not* change the contents of /etc/sysconfig/desktop.  Also tried checking 'Restore Desktop' when logging out of KDE as well.

I tried manually adding [DESKTOP="KDE"] (without the brackets) in /etc/sysconfig/desktop, and nothing changes (and the first time I opened this file, the only thing there was [DESKT] (again, minus the brackets) - in other words, the entry was incomplete.

Couldn't make heads or tails out of /etc/X11/prefdm (not a programmer, have yet to try to learn bash scripting), but included whats in it below, in case anyone can tell at a glance if anything is wrong with it...

I just realized - I am using Ximian GNOME, not regular - maybe that has something to do with it?

Oh well,  I think I'm gonna switch to Gentoo soon anyway - gonna spend this weekend installing my first server.

Later

Charles

/etc/X11/prefdm

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

# We need to source this so that the login screens get translated
. /etc/profile.d/lang.sh

# Run preferred X display manager

# Try autologin first, if wanted...
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/autologin -a -x /usr/sbin/autologin ]; then
        if /usr/sbin/autologin; then
                exit 0
        fi
        # If autologin fails (bad permissions, etc.), we get here -
        # time to start a real display manager.
fi

preferred=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
        source /etc/sysconfig/desktop >/dev/null 2>&1
        [ -n "$DISPLAYMANAGER" ] && DESKTOP=$DISPLAYMANAGER
        if [ "$DESKTOP" = GNOME ]; then
                preferred=gdm
        elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "KDE" -o "$DESKTOP" = "KDE1" -o "$DESKTOP" = "KDE2" ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/kdm
        elif [ "$DESKTOP" = AnotherLevel ] ; then
                preferred=/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
        fi
fi
if [ -z "$preferred" ]; then
        if which gdm >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                preferred=gdm
        elif which kdm >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                preferred=kdm
        elif which xdm >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                preferred=xdm
        fi
fi
if [ -n "$preferred" ] && which $preferred >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec `which $preferred` $* >/dev/null 2>&1
fi
if which gdm >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec `which gdm` $* >/dev/null 2>&1
elif which kdm >/dev/null 2>&1; then