[ale] Virtual Servers

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Tue Apr 30 16:48:37 EDT 2002

	you should be able to tell by server identity signature:

/home/zyu/mail$ telnet www.domain.com 80
Trying 12.34.56.78 ...
Connected to www.domain.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /junk HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.0		<<<<<---- server type
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:46:58 GMT

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:

#Yeah, that's what I thought. The specific web server product I am unsure
#of but I do know that they are on Sun Solaris systems. The snippet that
#Jerry gave is exactly what I was thinking of. It seems that they are not
#able to understand their own server config but I am bad about being quick
#to judge sometimes...
#
#Anyway, thanks for the feedback y'all.
#
#
#--- Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
#> I would guess this depends on your web server product, but I know it can
#>
#> be done with Netscape webserver as we did exactly what you're
#> suggesting.  I would expect Apache would support it as well, but I've
#> not configured it to do so.
#>
#>
#> Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:
#> > Got a question about virtual servers.
#> >
#> > Let's say that I have 2 ways to get to my web site. One domain name,
#> > domainname.com and anotherdomainname.com/foldername.
#> >
#> > Either way I get the same index page initially. The domainname.com is
#> a
#> > shared IP address with a bunch of other web sites on it. Shouldn't
#> they be
#> > able to point domainname.com at the anotherdomainname.com/foldername?
#> >
#> > I asked this question of the web server admin but I get lot's of silly
#> > answers as to why they can't do this. It seems as though it is a
#> simple
#> > alias to a directory for my web site content. I hope this made sense
#> or
#> > dollars even :p
#> >
#> > =====
#> > ===================================
#> > Kevin O'Neill Stoll
#> > http://kevinstoll.org/
#> >
#> > OpenSource Software ... FREE!
#> > Angering Bill Gates ... Priceless!
#> > ===================================
#> >
#> > __________________________________________________
#> > Do You Yahoo!?
#> > Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
#> > http://health.yahoo.com
#> >
#> > ---
#> > This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
#> should be
#> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
#> >
#> >
#> >
#>
#>
#> --
#> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net
#>
#> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
#> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?
#>
#
#
#=====