[ale] Virtual Servers

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Apr 30 15:06:15 EDT 2002

This is EXACTLY (or close to) how the legacy EarthLink (i.e., MindSpring)
user home pages work. http://home.MindSpring.com/~username and
http://username.home.MindSpring.com/ work equally well, despite
anyusername.home.MindSpring.com resolving to the same singluar IP address.
If the server speaks HTTP/1.1, the exact website can be passed to the
server and the properly mapped pages returned. If their system isn't
fancy enough, you'd think they could at least bounce a request for
www.somedomainname.com to www.somedomainname.com/yourfolder .