[ale] OT: Office lighting

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 30 13:36:11 EDT 2002

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Some of the newer fluorescent lighting doesn't hum very bad or flicker
> at all.  I got an incandescent bulb replacement that was fluorescent.
> Has a curly tube and puts out about 90watts worth of light.  It is very
> much like white sunlight without the greenish sick hue of the past.  Go
> to Home Depot and take a look at the displays.  You can tell which
> lights will work.  If your really worried about interference and noise
> then run them thru a UPS to smooth out the mains fluctuations.  Your
> plenty geek enough to get away with that. ;)

I hope so, I've rewired my whole basement. :)

Well, I broke down and went out to Home Depot and picked up 6 recessed
light fixtures along with 3 50 watt halogen bulbs.  6 Fixtures: ~$40, 3
bulbs ~$24.  And these were the more expensive fixtures as the ceiling
will be insulated. I figure to install three fixtures for now and see
how that does.  I can always use the fixtures elsewhere in my basement
if I don't like them in my office.

Anyone know if you can put a dimmer on a halogen bulb???

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net