[ale] OT: Office lighting

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Apr 30 09:14:45 EDT 2002

I have been replacing all of my incandescent bulbs in my house with the
compact fluorescent. I ahve been having no noticeable problems with any
of the electronics in the house. It also helps keep the heat down as
they run much cooler that the hot wire bulbs. Unfortunately, the
compacts are only available in one "color". Having a "cool" and "warm"
tube side by side in a box lighting around the room with a bright white
ceiling makes for a great "lit ceiling" for indirect lighting. Wire the
lights on 2 circuits so you can turn on just half at a time for low
level needs.

As far as interference goes, just keeping the case closed on the box
works wonders. Good quality ethernet cable is unaffected by light noise.
However, if you start seeing a 60 cycle line streaking by on your
monitor, the ballast on the light is about to croak.

Halogen lights "look" better but are screaming hot. Some of the newer
low voltage halogens put off much less heat but they are really
expensive to install.

A note on using fluorescents: Don't turn them on and off. They use the
most power when turning them on. It uses less power to leave them on all
day than to power-cycle them 3 times during that day.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>