[ale] newserver help

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Apr 28 08:33:41 EDT 2002

I don't run news servers so my assistance may be minimal, at best.

It sounds like innd is running but the ctlinnd command thinks the  pid
is somewhere else. Double check your configuration in /etc. Also, as
this is open source (yay!) you can look at the code for ctlinnd to find
out where it is looking for the pid file.

If it works, you can make a symlink from the real pid file
(/var/run/???) to where ctlinnd gripes about not finding the pid. If
ctlinnd is a binary file, try running "strings <path>/ctlinnd | less" to
search the binary for what it is hard coded for.

If all else fails, look for it on freshmeat, go to the home page for
innd and look for more info there.

Good luck.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>