[ale] Help explain please...

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 27 18:20:31 EDT 2002

Arafat Mohamed wrote:

> Dear Ale'rs
>
> I'm trying to figure out how modules compiled into kernels work. In the past
> in order to get sound working on my laptop I'd do a
>
> # modprobe opl3sa2 irq=5, io=0x530, dma=1, dma2=0, mss_io=0x370
>
> I decided to compile kernel 2.4.16 with opl3sa2 support built in. I went
> through the configuration, compiled and installed kernel with no problems
> except for no sound.
>
> #dmesg
> -- snip --
> opl3sa2: No PnP cards found
> - -snip --

If the card is really a PnP card, it *must* be configured,
either by the BIOS, the kernel, or isapnp, before the
sound driver attempts to detect it.

If you use isapnp to configure the card, then you must
use a module, because the hardware is not available
at boot time.

Do you have a PnP-enabled kernel? If not, be sure "PnP OS"
is disabled in the BIOS settings. And if you *do* have a
PnP kernel, "PnP OS" should be enabled in the BIOS to
prevent the BIOS from trying to configure the PnP hardware.

Cheers,

-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.
  Pissing Bill Gates off: priceless.