[ale] AOL (ugh)

Tyler Kiley tyler at kianta.com
Fri Apr 26 13:58:25 EDT 2002

I've called AOL's tech support number 6 times in the past hour, asking if I
could get any information on how their proxy servers work, and I've been
disconnected without explanation (or transferred to cancellations, or told
they don't use proxy servers, or something else really clever) every time.

So... I guess I'll bring my question here:  I have a fresh install of rh7.2
with an even fresher apache 1.3.24 running smoothly behind a linksys dsl
router which is forwarding net traffic on port 80 to the linux box.
Everything works great..... except that aol users can't access the website
(stalls on "Web site contacted, waiting for reply", then times out with "web
site not responding").  Is there something glaringly obvious that might cause
a problem like this?  I've installed apache quite a few times, and never had
this sort of problem with AOL -- it looks like the router is the difference,
but I'm not sure why it should be causing a problem.

Tyler