[ale] More on Linus Audio File editing...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Apr 26 10:31:57 EDT 2002

A couple weeks back I recommended the very capable and reasonably stable
"audacity" program  <audacity.sourceforge.net/> as one of the better wav
and audio file editing programs for Linux, but I may have hunted down
something better.

While working on editing and assembling a custom CD for a dance program I
went exploring the OSS options again and came accross a substantially
more impressive solution called "WaveSurfer"
<http://www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/intro.html>.
(Version 1.3.1 is available as Linux binary tgz download which works fine
on my RH 7.2 / PIII system. Source is available as well.)

WaveSurfer has a very sophisticated Tk/Tcl based interface with lots of
display and datagram options. The manual hardly scratches the surface,
though, so it takes some exploring to uncover all the cool controls this
one offers.

I will still keep Audacity around as it still seems better suited to
multi track mixing, but I'll definitely be using WaveSurfer to edit and
process those tracks!

peace
aaron