[ale] the truth about contracting?

Tony Ucedavelez tucedavelez at datamatx.com
Thu Apr 25 15:39:42 EDT 2002

I concur with your hesitation, especially if she needlessly is emphasizing
that contracts are always renewed (even when not being asked).

I contracted for 2 seperate consulting firms here in Atlanta, but the
economic times were different and things were definitely a lot more stable.
 But having many peers who are contracting in the southeast, they have
indeed had their share of false promises.  As always, this isn't a sure
guarantee that it'll be the same for you, but I definitely would listen to
your gut feeling.

A lot of contractors try to size up the stability by asking to meet other
contractors currently staffed at the recruiter's client site.  Usually this
opptunity is best when you interview at the client site (which is something
that they usually do in a round 2 or 3 of interviews).  See if you can get
a feel for the environment by speaking to any contractors currently working
at the client site (ideally who have even been placed by the recruiting
firm itself).

Some of the things to look out for (and that are available to the
contractor) is the contracted term between the client and the recruiter.  I
had an experience where I was verbally promised a year's work, but I later
found out after repeated questioning that the contracted term between the
client and the recruiter was only for 3 months!  So make sure that what's
verbally communicated to you is the same as what's in paper between them
and their client.

best of luck.

Antonio O. UcedaVelez
Programmer