[ale] memory-conservative distribution

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Tue Apr 23 16:10:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:45:30 -0000, John Wells wrote:

>I have a cd copy of slack 8.0 I was considering, but thought I'd pose the
>question to the list.  Any recommendations?

I've got Slack 8.0 running on a 486DX2/66 with 16MB and 32MB swap.  It
will install OK.  Used as a dedicated mail server, and no X, 16MB
should be fine, as long as you're not adding too much other stuff.
This particular machine runs Postfix, Webmin, nut(a UPS monitor), sshd,
the distributed.net client, chrony, and a couple of custom daemons
written in Perl that monitor and reset my ADSL modem when it hangs.
The memory requirement typically puts it about 10MB into swap(including
the use of about 4-5MB of buffer/cache).  Killing Webmin, dnetc, and
the Perl daemons drops memory usage down to well under 16MB.
I could probably tweak usage down a bit, but is really hasn't been
necessary.

Once you've got Slack 8.0 installed, it probably wouldn't hurt to
compile up a custom kernel to reduce kernel memory usage.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at