[ale] Ximian

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 23 09:54:52 EDT 2002

First of all, KDE 3.0 is not "forthcoming". It is a released product and I am
using it now. I was using Ximian and decided to try KDE 3.0 after getting
disillusioned with earlier versions. After a couple of days, I converted
everything to KDE 3.0. Why? I was at my wit's end trying to resolve all of
the dependency problems I had with Ximian. Every upgrade seems to break if
not a whole program, at least selected features on some program. The problem
is worse if you use Red Carpet for upgrades. The people at Ximian seem to be
waiting for users to tell them about these dependency issues rather than
solving them before they release upgrades. Also, I am not impressed with the
system tools that come with Gnome. I do like the features of Evolution, but
it ran unbelievably slow on my computer. And Nautilus is still one of the
biggest memory hogs I have ever used.

KDE 3.0 has been a pleasant surprise for me. It's easy to adjust the system to
give you less eye candy and thus consume less memory. Setting up a printer is
a breeze and faxing programs come with KDE. The Ximian folks seem to see this
as an "extra". I think that the sound daemon for KDE, arts, is superior to
esd and I'm enjoying that very much. I could go on, but overall, I'm very
pleased with the new KDE. I think that soon the only Gnome program I'll be
running is GIMP.  This is all just my experience. YMMV.