[ale] X Windows

Joe Jansen joejansen at vei.net
Mon Apr 22 11:28:40 EDT 2002

bleh.

I am running Mandrake 8.1, with an S3 Virge video card and a AOC Spectrum 4VA monitor.

I am trying to get X to run at 1024 X 768 resolution.  I know that the hardware can do it, because my old RH 7.0 install did so, and I dual boot windoze for my wife, which also manages 1024x768.

I have gone bug-eyed reading man pages about X, but have not been able to find out what I need to do to bump my resolution up from 800x600 to 1024x768.

I am sure it is a simple config utility, but what?  AUGH!

I tried re-installing, but when I selected 1024x768, and hit test, it showed me 800x600.  When the prompt came up asking if it was correct, I hit yes, as in yes, it looks ok' thinking it would let me make more adjustments.  Alas, this was not the case...

Thanks!

--Joe Jansen