[ale] LUG in Columbus

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Apr 22 10:32:30 EDT 2002

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm thinking the answer is a resounding
"no."  I believe that at this point, "significant business use" of Linux
is dependent on the existence of IT solutions outsourcing providers that
are able to supply a top-to-bottom Linux solution that has as its
primary obvious benefit a complete avoidance of the MS tax.  Whereas on
a lesser scale the occasional successful implementation of the odd Linux
server here and there are within reason, jumping to "significant
business use," IMHO, is going to take a more wide-ranging approach.

"[C]an one actually earn a living as a Linux professional down there?"
Not unless you are ina position to create your own opportunity.  What I
am NOT seeing in Monster listings, job fairs, etc. are companies who are
actively seeking people to accomplish in Linux what is being sought in
Windows-land.  Now, if some Columbus company hired me as CTO, IS
Director, etc. (if you know of anyone, e-mail me!!!), then the notion
would be more reasonable because, well, I'm unusual.  However, the
reality is that Linux is still not being strongly investigated or
implemented at most companies, although I believe that that will change
for the better.  There are still way too many IT mgrs that are
disinterested in Linux, like the CTO at Rock-Tenn who e-mailed me back a
surprisingly lucid rejection of my offer to help Linux-ize his
operation, or the (get this) IT solutions co. WHOSE PRIMARY CLIENTELE
WAS NON-PROFITS who implemented only MS/Sybase that I ran into at a job
fair last week.  They just about refused to take my resume (the guy was
trying to tell me that MS gave discounts to non-profits!).  A company
like that deserves to have their clock cleaned by people who can do the
same or better using OSS solutions.

- Jeff