[ale] if networking unused for a while, requires 'networkingrestart' to regain functionality, huh ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Apr 21 16:47:18 EDT 2002

Hi Courtney,
What I'm going to suggest next is in the category of _really_bad_hack_.
But, add a cron job that tests for working access (ping the gateway
machine once) and restart networking.

Since the system runs OK under a different kernel version, it is clearly
a driver issue and not hardware one.

You can also try pulling the driver code for the device from the older
kernel and replacing it in the  new source.

Or, if the module is compiled with the ability to use it under a
different kernel (kernel symbols on?), then try loading the older module
instead.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>