[ale] Making a Gentoo Mirror

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 19 18:42:32 EDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 05:35:59PM -0400 Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at attbi.com> wrote:
> I want to create a local mirror of the Gentoo distro download tree and
> point my installation prodedure to it instead of the original.  Have any
> of you tried that?

Closest thing I've planned (but not executed) is to keep a mirror of
FreeBSD-STABLE cvsup server, and then cvsup my other fbsd boxes from
that instead of one of the official cvsup servers.  But since I got dsl,
that hasn't been as much a priority.  :-)

But, there is another thing I'd like to try one of these days.  And
that's keep source trees on a "build box" where I can keep a specific
source tree for each of several fbsd boxes (each source tree would be
customized for a particular box that didn't have room for its own source
tree on board).  Then you just go make buldworld on the buildbox, mount
it's /usr/src/obj on /usr/src/ of the target, then go make install
world.  Sounds kinda neat, but I've never done it yet.  It would make
sense for older slower boxes with little proc power and little disk
space.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net