[ale] Webserver and Java recommendations

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Fri Apr 19 13:45:32 EDT 2002

I don't know anything about PHP, but Apache + Tomcat works well for me for
Java. I haven't used Apache 2.x, so I can only say that the latest 1.x works
great. If you're installing Tomcat on Linux, I recommend using Sun JDK1.4,
the latest JDK (or whatever acronym they're calling it now). There are some
known issues w/ earlier JDKs, and I couldn't get it working smoothly, so I'm
using 1.4 even though it's still technically a beta. I've had no trouble
whatsever on a RH 7.1 system.

If you use Tomcat, you will surely wonder what connector to use between
Apache & Tomcat. I'm using WARP (web_app), but mod_jk is maybe a little
easier to configure from what I gather. But web_app is the future direction;
mod_jk will eventually be phased out from what I understand.

Hope that helps.

Thank you,
Mike Millson
Web Systems Engineer
Sun Certified Programmer for Java2 Platform
AableTech Solutions, Inc.
770.414.8834
404.219.3177 cell
770.414.8206 fax