[ale] ALS

Paul D. Manno paul at dblegl.atl.ga.us
Wed Apr 17 10:30:06 EDT 2002

Folks,

For the record, there indeed is no ALS scheduled for 2002 at this time. It
is not and never was an "Oakland-only" show.  After the disappointing ALS
2001 held in Oakland (due to the generous sponsorship of the international
USENIX Association), USENIX could not fiscally support another such event.

Vernard and I had drafted the discussion about what to do about ALS and it
has been posted to this list and discussed at an ALE meeting.  To date, if
we count the chirping crickets heard as affirmative, there were about 20
who thought a small Fall ALS in Atlanta would be an "okay" thing.

As Chris has already said on this list, there was a general burn-out among
the local champions of ALS and a small group of folks comprising the board
of directors (cc'd on this message) and a few other stalwart individuals
left to do something with the show.  It was felt we'd like to do something
for the local community again.  However, a show for 20 folks just is not
cost-effective.  Sufficient corporate sponsorships are *very* difficult to
find.  There are probably alternatives ALS could do.

So, I invite open discussion on your choice of private mail, ALE's mailing
list or the ALS board to help us choose ALS's best way to support the
local community - what we're chartered to do.

-- Paul Manno