[ale] Java IDE

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Apr 16 17:05:39 EDT 2002

ChangingLINKS.com writes:
 > I have a friend that is looking to develop Java on Linux. He is used to using
 > C++ builder to do most of his programming work. Is there anything like that
 > for use with Java for Linux (RedHat 7.2)?

I've become smitten with IDEA from intellij (www.intellij.com).
Besides the usual gui stuff (code completion, etc) it has built in
refactoring.  It is such a feeling of power to be able to change a
method name in 500 files with no more trouble than in 1 line.

I've seen some other refactoring setups, and IDEA has way more than
any other I've seen.  It also integrates nicely with junit and Ant.
Unfortunately, it is not free.  Also unfortunate, it is kind of slow
on Linux.  It will be a lot faster when jdk 1.4 comes out and they
support it.  Java on Linux is just slow.

I'm intrigued by eclipse (www.eclipse.org), a free, open source IDE
sponsored mostly by IBM.  It is plug in based, and there are some
interesting plug-ins available.  I haven't tried it, yet.

--Michael