[ale] Java IDE

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Tue Apr 16 13:24:03 EDT 2002

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I have a friend that is looking to develop Java on Linux. He is used to using
> C++ builder to do most of his programming work. Is there anything like that
> for use with Java for Linux (RedHat 7.2)?

We've been using Sun's Forte 3.0 - Community Edition
(http://forte.sun.com) which is based on the Open Source NetBeans
project (www.netbeans.org).  Same features under both Linux (Redhat 7.2)
and Windows so our developers have a choice...and it's been a good way
to get some of them introduced to Linux.

I've heard that the latest Forte 4.0 release had some install problems
on non-Redhat linux distros, but I haven't tried it myself.  Overall,
we've been pretty pleased with it compared to other commercial IDE's
like VisualAge.

                                Chris Egolf
              http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net