[ale] memory, compiling and seg faults

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Apr 16 02:40:18 EDT 2002

For awhile now, anytime I compile from source I get intermittent seg faults.
 Rerunning make a few times usually causes the seg fault to disappear and
compiling continues.

Last night when compiling wxPython, I started getting seg faults so often
that I had to script make to rerun each time it occured a non-zero return
value.  Judging from my log file, I'd say the number of seg faults before
the (eventual) successful compile reached 100.

I know this has to be caused by something with my RAM, but I've run
memtest86 and other test utilities and they all report that everything is
fine.  Could it be something else?  Are these types of utilities accurate or
more of a good indication.

Also, this would mark the second time I've had to replace a SIMM because of
this problem.  Could it be a problem with one of the motherboard slots
rather than one of the modules?

As always, thanks for the help.

John