[ale] Seem to have trashed 'rpm' - how do I get out of this?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Apr 15 10:42:47 EDT 2002

Jerry -

Thanks for the suggestion. I first need to make backups of my critical
directories, then I can get down to trashing in earnest!

I had also another thought as to what my problem might be. (After all,
forcing a couple of PPP-related rpms in or out shouldn't bust the system!)

I quite recently updated 'rpm' inself, which involved bringing the 'db'
forward as well. Could it be that I am colliding with packages to be
added/removed/updated/queried whose statistics were kept in the old
(RH-6.2 issue-date) 'rpm', and my current installation is trying to mix
this with information which may or may not be in the new, recently updated
'rpm' and its new db?

I would appreciate comments on that, for there must be a work-around if
it's that kind of problem.

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Jerry Z. Yu wrote:

> wonder if rpm2cpio will do the wonder such that you can make sure various
> files go to where the RPM will place it. Since rpm2cpio is just to extract
> the cpio archive out of the rpm binary file, it should not need the rpmdb.
>
> 	cd / && rpm2cpio some.db.i386.rpm | cpio -id
> 	# after all is working, to have proper rpm record for this RPM
> 	rpm -Uvh --force some.db.i386.rpm

 - John Mills