[ale] Web-Ftp , webmail clients

Tyler Kiley tyler at kianta.com
Thu Apr 11 23:41:02 EDT 2002

> Of course there is, you point a web browser at a site, log in and it gives
> you an interface to upload/download files to that server, sorta like the
way
> you have to manage you website at some of these free sites like
> geocities,yahoo, etc.  It allows you to do so without an ftp client.

The point is that when you do that /w a web browser, it's no longer ftp --
it's http, and the ftp protocol isn't used anywhere in the process.

True ftp over http isn't practical, due to the nature of the ftp protocol.
It could be done with a decent scripting language... but it would be hard to
come up with a situation in which it would be useful.

Tyler