[ale] how to "unblock" port 80

Ron Nottingham nottingham at alltel.net
Thu Apr 11 14:39:10 EDT 2002

"Zyman, Andy" wrote:

> Hello,
> my friend is "a proud customer " of CableVision. He has cable with them. I
> mean cable internet access. he is running small web site. And today he found
> out that port 80 is blocked, so nobody can see his site except him :). The
> question is " How to ... " ? :)

I'm going to assume he can scan port 80 locally, but nothing is coming
from the outside through port 80.  What happens when he routes outside
port 8081 to local port 80?  Can he "see" his site?  If so,
"CableVision" is physically blocking this port as a worm deterrent.  He
needs to call "CableVision" and hopefully they have some techs to help
him.  I have Alltel DSL for my broadband (very happy with them, only
down twice in about 3 years, very good tech service), and they have
blocked port 80 access from their servers downstream to the customer as
a worm/virus deterrent a few times.  I called them up and told them to
make a note in or flag my account some way so my port 80 and 8080 would
not be blocked.  It has worked so far.

If he can't see his site while routing through a different port, then he
has routing problems on his end.  Without knowing what routing hardware
is being used, can't help there, as I'm not familiar with CableVisions
equipment

--
Ron N. - Dalton, GA    http://www.pchacker.org/