[ale] email server

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 19:50:22 EDT 2002

Hi Virginia,

You and my wife share the same!

Mail servers are _hard_. Under UNIX and Linux they are seriously hard.
For the most part, distribution like RedHat have done most of the work
and have a functional configuration. RedHat uses sendmail. It may be
"old", but it is unbelievably capable. It is also the most terrifying
thing to configure! To that end, there are two gui tools that do a
pretty good job. Webmin and linuxconf. I have used both. Webmin at the
moment seems to be a bit ahead in terms of capability. Linuxconf as
shipped with RedHat is feeble. There is a full version from the website.
Both can be found searching on http://freshmeat.net

There is a serious contender for MTA "alpha-geek product" in an
application called qmail. It is much leaner than sendmail and was
engineered from the ground up to dodge the security problems that
plagued sendmail for a few years. The Debian distribution ships with
qmail. There are a _bazillion_ addons available for qmail. And there are
a few get-and-install-qmail-in-2-keystrokes scripts around as well.

I know there is an O'Reilly book on Sendmail. While it is the definitive
tome on sendmail, it is also the ultimate cure for insomnia! I don't
know if there is a dead-tree guide for qmail yet.

Oh. Welcome to ALE :)

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>