[ale] MICR check financial data?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Apr 10 10:58:00 EDT 2002

Christopher wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can print MICR codes from linux?  I'm writing
> code that prints checks out but I need to somehow print the MICR numbers
> (routing numbers, etc) at the bottom.
>
> I'm clueless on where to look...  Postscript maybe?
>
> Can anyone provide any pointers or tips?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Chris Bergeron

Chris -

Do you know if it's still a requirement to use MICR toner in the
printer?  If memory serves me right (index finger raised for emphasis
:-) ), MICR numbers are sometimes read magnetically, not optically.  I
know this is what caused a problem with using that Versacheck app - some
of our checks would get bounced out of the regular system.

As for your original question, Postscript is the first thing I'd look
into.  I don't know how you were going to fabricate your check images
but seems to me like there'd be many ways to do it once you've solved
the font problem.

- Jeff