[ale] Off topic: os X on Mac G4

D. Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Tue Apr 9 08:18:13 EDT 2002

I installed and have been running Mac OS X on a G4 since last May. If you
have the luxury of doing so, I highly recommend partitioning the disk drive
into OS 9 and OS X partitions. I learned the hard way with my iBook when
something weird happened during a software install and I could no longer
boot the machine. With OS 9 in a separate partition it's easy to get the
machine booted in OS 9 if OS X is not working. That one incident is the only
problem I have had with OS X. Installation was easy and straight forward.

Maybe you've got a hardware incompatability? When I put OS X on the G4 I
had to replace 64MB of cheap RAM that was installed by the mail-order outfit
I bought it from. The memory wasn't recognized by OS X or by OS 9.1, but
was by OS 8.x. The 64MB of Apple RAM was recognized, so the machine
was able to boot and run from that.

I have found that if the Classic environment is left running too long it hangs
and OS 9 applications cannot run. When that happens it's necessary to
"Force Quit" the Classic application and start it up again. I suspect that the
fact that I put the computer to sleep when I'm not using it may be what's
causing this. I've also had to reboot occasionally due to communications
problems with the USB printer or DSL modem. My compact flash card reader
is not compatible with OS X, but I can use an OS 9 application to read the
data and save it to the hard disk.

> Has anybody had successfuly (please be honest)configured osX to run on
a G4
> machine? Tried to deal with it for 4 days now on production machine; I put a
> very fierce battle but the machine won. I ended up downgrading back to 8.6 since
> most of the times the machine would not boot on 9.2, hung sometimes when
> switching from X to the "Classic 9" environment when running applications and
> was also a pain in the rear to configure printers. OS X looks great but is very
> deceiving
>
> I had to take this out of my chest.
>
> Sergio

> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

D. Alan Stewart
Senior Software Developer
Layton Graphics, Inc.
155 Woolco Dr.
Marietta, GA 30062
Voice: 770/973-4312
Fax: 800/367-8192
FTP: ftp.layton-graphics.com
WWW: www.layton-graphics.com

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they
are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do
not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein