[ale] a scary scenario

Mark Hurley debian4tux at telocity.com
Mon Apr 8 23:13:43 EDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:59:08AM -0400, Glenn C. Lasher Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Irv Mullins wrote:
>
> > If they actually have plans to give Windows away, they sure wasted
> > a lot of effort and gained lots of bad press by adding all that copy
> > protection, etc to XP.
> >
> > But then, Microsoft is a bureaucracy, so that kind of dunderheaded planning
> > would be par for the course.....

What do you get when you mix...

WindowsXP + OfficeXP = MSN-Messenger that cannot be turned OFF!

I read about it in a story online the other day...and asked someone at
work who runs XP.  It is true...you must leave it running.  The
downside is most people say it 'upsets' them.  Ohh? I recall people
saying the same thing years ago, but they now use IE without guilt.

I'm not saying I advocate the software.  My point is...Microsoft would
make consumers believe their kitchen sink is part of the OS, if it
increased their passport consumer base.

Mark