[ale] rpm & cpio

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 5 16:30:20 EST 2002

I have been trying to install KDE 3.0 on my RedHat 7.2 system. The KED
people have built rpm's for RedHat 7.2 and I downloaded them. But
several installs are filing. When I try to install one package, this is
what I get:

[100%]
   1:kdemultimedia-arts     error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/artsbuilder.png;3cae1485: cpio: open
failed - Input/output error

Somebody on the KDE-Linux list has suggested that the packages were
built with a different version of cpio. Does this make any sense? I was
using the cpio version that was installed out of the box. How much
difference should the version of cpio make?