[ale] PAM delays

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Apr 5 18:52:13 EST 2002

Chris Fowler wrote:
> You can do what I did.  Rewrite most of everything
> used.  That way you *know* what it is doing.
>
> I'll give you an example.  I removed sysVinit 2.58 and
> replaced it with mine.  I do not support run levels.  I
> do not need them.  I found a bug in a tty driver becuase my
> init would fire off jobs extremely fast. The tty driver could
> not handle the all the open()'s at nearly the same time.  I
> had to place a minor nanosleep in the fire() function.
>
> I hate PAM.  I can not stand miss typing my password and having to
> wait almost 2 seconds to get another login because PAM is
> cleaning itself up.

   Is that the only reason you hate PAM?  (I'll admit, there are other reasons :-)  That delay is a secuiry feature.  It was "designed in" to lengthen the time it would take war-dialers to crack your password.  It's also configurable.  I've got the delay on my firewall set to about 10 seconds.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith