[ale] Q: How to install ttf fonts in Linux

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Fri Apr 5 10:22:46 EST 2002

Chris,

Assuming you're using a recent version of X (4.x), here's how to do it. (4.x comes with built-in TTF support, but it's not like Windows where you can plug it in and it will go. It is really easy to do, however.)

First, edit your XF86Config file, and look for the "FontPath" entries. Add the line:

	FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF" (or wherever your TTF fonts are located.)

Once you have that line in the config, you need to ttmkfdir to generate the fonts.scale and fonts.dir files. If you don't have it, get it here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttmkfdir/?topic_id=850

If already have it, skip this step. Edit the Makefile entries for freetype. (I know what they are for Slackware, but not Mandrake.) Build ttmkfdir using "make", and copy the resulting binary to somewhere in your path.

	ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
	ln -s fonts.scale fonts.dir

Restart X, and voila! Enjoy.

--