[ale] gcc

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Apr 3 12:39:03 EST 2002

Before belly-flopping into the conversation, I should point out that I am
not a programmer 8-/.

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Bao C. Ha wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> > 	I don't know about this specific example, but gcc has
> > plenty of smarts
> > in optimizing code.  Common sub-expressions, loop-invariants,
> > and simple
> > things like multiplying/dividing by a constant power of 2 are
> > all taken
> > care of.
>
> Gcc is very advanced.  As you have mentioned, it will use the
> compiler optimization techniques that unravel and reorder the
> codes for better performance.  The only issue is the the
> bloated code size.
>
> The processor technology has moved more toward RISC.  I don't
> know how many people can actually do proper assembler with the
> Pentium and above architecture.  A compiler has plenty of
> know-hows to optimize and to reorder the code sequences to keep
> the pipelines fill all of the time.
>
> I think it is a myth that assembler language is faster.  But
> in my retarded mind, C is basically just a machine-non-specific
> assembler language.

I'm not so sure "retarded" is applicable here. If memory serves on two
very old points: 1) Kernegan & Richie (sp?) considered C a "portable
assembler language" 2) C maps very closely to the old PDP-11 assembler.

C is capable of being quite portable, and C is not that appreciably
different than a non-portable assembler.

YMMV of course.

> Bao
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.