[ale] Exported Display

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 3 11:55:23 EST 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> 1.  Have xdm, gdm, or whatever running on the machine already (i.e., in
> runlevel 5 for RH at al)
> 2.  type xhost + or xhost +<IP of target>  on local machine
> 3.  ssh to target machine; log in
> 4.  on target machine, type export DISPLAY=<ip or resolvable name of
> local machine>:0.0

 From the ssh man page:

If the ForwardX11 variable is set to ``yes'' (or, see the description o
the -X and -x options described later) and the user is using X11 (the
DISPLAY environment variable is set), the connection to the X11 display
is automatically forwarded to the remote side in such a way that any X11
programs started from the shell (or command) will go through the
encrypt­ed channel, and the connection to the real X server will be made
from the local machine.  The user should not manually set DISPLAY.
Forwarding of X11 connections can be configured on the command line or
in configurationfiles.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net