[ale] Re: system freezes again.. was [ale] question about ASUS vid cardsin RH 7.2

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 3 11:01:18 EST 2002

Actually I don't have the rivafb module installed so I know that isn't
the problem.  After some googlin, I've found that AMD chips have a
recently discovered bug related to its use of paging.  Apparently this
causes system lock-ups and has been reported by nvidia users.  Hmm.  The
workaround is to add the 'mem=nopentium' to grub.  The folks over at
Gentoo seem to be chasing this one.  Futher reading ....

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020123-amd-news.html

http://lwn.net/2002/0124/kernel.php3