[ale] question about ASUS vid cards in RH 7.2

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Apr 2 22:13:16 EST 2002

Lance,

I don't know that card in particular, but I have managed to get tux
racer to run on my nvidia TNT2. The "magic" is activating the _hardware_
OpenGL. The software stuff, like Mesa, won't work for tux racer, and
other heavy graphics games that use OpenGL (Soldier of Fortune is
another).

So what you are looking for is driver that support the OpenGL in the
hardware. There should be some docs on www.xfree86.org

OK. The GeForce2 is an NVIDIA chip. They have drivers for linux that
will do what you want. The only catch is they are not open source. But
they work great. Look here:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

You will need both the GLX and the kernel modules.

Then hang on to your butt cheeks 'cause tux racer is a pretty sweet
game!

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>