[ale] differentiating processes from threads

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 2 09:17:07 EST 2002

The threading library does not act as a fork with some
IPC tying it together.  At least that is not my perception
seen when using clone() in my programs to create threads.  Maybe
Posix Threads does something like that but I have not explored PThreads.
I'm still using Linux native threads.  I would look at total memory of
the parent heap + parent stack to get toal memory usage of the parent
abd child heaps.  The child heaps are allocated in the parent stack.

Any memoy allocated by the child with malloc() would have to be looked
at under their processes entry.

Chris