[ale] differentiating processes from threads

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Apr 2 03:17:04 EST 2002

Awhile back I sent out a message regarding mozilla's apparent spawning of
multiple processes with large memory footprints.  Someone corrected me,
stating that these were actually threads using shared memory and were just
reported by top and ps -ef as seperate processes.  They forwarded a ps
string that returned some obscure indication of the fact that they were
threads.

I find myself in a situation where I need to be able to differentiate
processes from threads.  Can anyone help me out?  The previously mentioned
ps string would do, but I wonder what other ways exist?

Thanks,
John