[ale] [OT] info on x10 browser popups

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Mon Apr 1 16:34:51 EST 2002

Because pop-ups don't really get "pushed" to you.  You load a page that
contains an instruction to request them, and the browser dutifully complies
with that instruction.  It's the browser's outgoing request for the pop-up
page that you want to block, hence the rule in the OUTPUT chain.

Actually you might better change the rule I suggested to REJECT instead of
DROP.  If you set it to DROP, the browser (or at least one of its threads)
might hang a while waiting for a response.  Likewise, if you put the rule in
the INPUT chain, the request for the page would go out OK, but then the
browser would wait for a response that would never come.

Krum