[ale] Unisys and Microsoft's way out

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Apr 1 09:19:11 EST 2002

Oh this is rich. I signed up on their site to take a look at the white
papers.
Here's a quote from the one on the Unisys ES7000, the largest Windows
machine currently available.

(quote)

... Technical issues remain. Windows Datacenter continues to make
progress in overall scalability, workload management, stability, and
reliability. But when the going gets tough, it still lags Unix
implementations, much less the proprietary OSs such as z/OS and NSK for
whom large scale is their bread and butter . . .

. . .Other issues are more a function of buyer risk-aversion and comfort
level. Whatever progress Windows or any other operating system makes,
acceptance invariably lags. It's not enough to be "good". An OS platform
must prove that it is good and must wait patiently while any negative
past impressions or reputations fade into memory . . .

(endquote)

I can hardly wait for the ads in Dr. Dobbs, Superbowl spots, and the
rest. Bring it on!

BTW has anyone experience with Ximian's Connector? That'd be the last
piece to allow me to cut the Lose 2000 cord at work.

-- CHS