[ale] PCI Modem

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Sep 11 07:13:12 EDT 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> I purchased an inexpensive PCI modem on clearance from CompUsa last
> night.  I'm not totally sure it was a WinModem but it could be.  It is
> a no name brand that was orignally $50.  Kudzu under RH7.1 can not
> find this modem so I must use setserial to detect it.  can someone
> tell me how to go about doing this?

A quick way to determine this is to look at the system requirements for
the card.  If it's a winmodem, the docs will (usually) indicate that you
need a Pentium processor (generally at least a 133) to support it.  A
real modem will work with much older hardware.

You still might be in luck, as there is support for some winmodems.
I've had limited success with one in the past.  Check out the
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."