[ale] mysql and high load levels

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 10 21:30:29 EDT 2001

djinn wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience running mysql in a production
> environment with medium sized tables?  We're talking 80 - 150MB data
> files...

About a year ago I worked on a production system on Solaris with about 4
million rows in one table.  The entire database was a gig or two.  We
had MySQL running on Linux boxes too, but they were much smaller
development databases.

The only problems we had with MySQL were two instances related to
corrupted database files.  (We know that in at least one case the
corruption was the result of unplanned power loss.)  When MySQL detected
corrupted table files, it failed the query but didn't log anything to
the daemon's log file.  And, silly me, it was at about the only place in
the code where I wasn't reporting the error correctly.  It took us a few
days to figure out what the problem was.

If you're truly desperate, try:
1. fsck the filesystem (just to be anal -- turns out that we needed to
do this on our Solaris box for some reason).
2. Run MySQL's isamcheck (or whatever) on the table files.

Good luck,
Alexander

--
Alexander Barton         "...Unix doesn't have a monopoly on good ideas,
abarton at mindspring.com    it just owns most of them." -Alan Cox